Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
Rating: 4 stars

I had low expectations for this book, but not because I saw bad reviews or didn't like the author or anything. I'm really skeptical about witch books. They're rarely ever original, and they usually all follow the same plot...and I hated the cover. Yes, I judged a book by the cover. And I have learned my lesson, because it was a pretty good book.

The story starts off with Sophie, who knows she's a witch. She's attending the latest of her many schools, hoping that this time, she won't get kicked out. It's prom night and a girl is crying in the bathroom because she doesn't have a date. Sophie feels bad for her, so she does a spell to get the girls crush to like her too. It goes wrong, predictably, and the guy ends up driving through the walls and confessing his undying love to the poor girl. She, of course, blames Sophie for this catastrophe, which lands Sophie in Hecate Hall, also known as Hex Hall. I immediately liked Sophie, and predictably once again, things got a bit weird at Hex Hall.

Sophie is almost immediately sabotaged by a group of girls, who want her to join their coven. Apparently Sophie is a dark witch, and the coven needs a fourth member, and Sophie was the only option. Sophie, of course, politely refuses, and tries to run away. Apparently upset by her lack of consent, the girls go all psycho on her and start slamming doors, glowing, and floating up in the air, talking about their power and how Sophie simply has to join their fun club.

I mean seriously? The nerve.
Sophie then proceeds to run away. Not that I would've done any different, those girls were a little wack.

Sophie all in all was a nice protagonist. She was witty, blunt, and fairly smart, but not overly so that would make her annoying. She tried her hardest to make everyone around her happy, even at the expense of the contents of her stomach.

I saw Archer's little secret coming from a million miles away, maybe I just read to much and things like that become predictable after a while, but I knew it was either him or Cal.

I'll admit, I was hoping 'it' was Cal, I liked Archer. He was hot. He was sweet. He was sassy. What more could a girl ask for? And that steamy scene? Yum (I realize that I probably sound like a perv right now but I'm in to good of a mood to care)

I was, on the other hand, hugely surprised with the ending. Did not see that coming, and I'm practically dying of anticipation to read the next one.

I loved Hex Hall, it was light and funny with a dark side. Witches weren't an original idea, but a good one, and Hawkins made it work. I'm not a die-hard fan just yet, but I could definitely grow to love this series.

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment