Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowan



I don't do dangerous.

Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...

Rating: 1 star

This book was positively awful. I have so much to rant on about it, and I only got about two-thirds of the way through it. The characters were annoying, the plot was iffy, and the writing was poor. And oh my God, the romance was absolutely awful.

The book starts off at a club, but it’s an all ages club, you know, so she’s legal to be in it. She sees her crush, and he tells her to follow him. No explanations, nothing other than a follow me kind of thing. According to the blurb (shown above) Sam is super careful and she never gets into trouble. Yeah, that lasted four pages.

Sam, of course, as all idiotic protagonists do, follows him. Her crush then begins to ramble on about how she has to want him to kiss her, and that it’s going to change her life forever. She doesn’t catch on to the fact that this guy is a little bit, I don’t know, crazy? because she’s so caught up in the moment or whatever. So they kiss, and about halfway through the kiss the guy pulls back, comments on how delicious she is, and then resumes sucking her face off. And surprise, surprise, her limbs start to turn to ice. Not literally, obviously.

As if this little ordeal weren’t enough, as soon as their done the guy walks off. And Sam passes out. A minute later her friend, Carly, wakes her up and lets her go home by herself. What kind of friend does that? Sorry your crush just kissed you then dumped you, not to mention the fact you just fainted, but I have better things to do then walk you home.

But, it does create the perfect stage in which she finds Bishop. And this is still on like, chapter two. She finds Bishop and she sees that he is absolutely insane. So what does she do? She grabs his arm, like all smart, super careful girls do to psychopaths. Yet, when she touches him, everything becomes so clear. Literally. He loses his insanity as long as she’s touching him. Well, as beautiful and romantic as that is, it’s stupid. It’s a stupid plot move, and a stupid romance move.

Normally, I wouldn’t go any farther into the book, because that would be considered spoiling, but, seeing as we’re still on chapter two or three, I’ll continue the rain of stupidity for you all (you welcome -_-) So she and Bishop are besties now, and they go off to find a white light, shining next to the theater. When they find this not-so-illusive light, shining above the head of a guy eating a hamburger out of the garbage, Bishop deems it necessary to stab him.

But at least he has the courtesy to tell Sam to go home first, which, obviously, she doesn’t, like all super careful protagonists. -__-

The next day she goes to school, almost makes out with her best friends ex-boyfriend-hence sucking his soul out; gets in a fight with the guy who was stabbed the night before, Bishop comes to her rescue and she finds out that she’s something called a ‘gray’. Not to mention that she’s always a complete and utter jerk to Bishop, no matter what he does. He is always the nicest guy to her and she’s always blaming him for something and accusing him of something and yelling at him, only to tell herself later that she is falling for this angel guy. Who she’s known for two days.

I don’t quite remember exactly when the following happened, whether it was that day, or the next: She goes back to the club where she was kissed by her crush and ditches her friend to go gallivanting off with Bishop, where they almost kiss, and she practically confesses her love to him (in her head, of course); she gets attacked by a demon, flips out when she sees the guy stabbed, even though she knows that he won’t die.

I won’t go any farther, it’s too much of a frustration. Everything was so incredibly wrong in this book. I ended up gently folding up my bookmark, carefully closing the book, setting it down, getting up and hitting something, because I always finish books. No matter how awful.

In obvious conclusion, I hated this book. I made it all the way to page 233 before giving it up. I was going to stop earlier, but I wanted to give it a second chance…followed by a third chance…you get the point. I suppose I could challenge you to see how far you make it in this book, but I wouldn’t try to do something that horrible to you. And I so badly wanted to finish this book, I literally hate not finishing books and this was just..GAH I WANTED TO FINISH IT!!

If you read this book and actually enjoyed it, tell me why. Does it get better? Did I miss something?  Please, I just don’t understand…

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment