Monday, April 1, 2013

Angelfall by Susan Ee



It's been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels' stronghold in San Francisco where she'll risk everything to rescue her sister and he'll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Rating: 5 stars

If I could give this book more, I would. It was that good. If you trust any of my advice--even if you don't--believe me when I tell you read this book.

The entire time I was reading Angelfall, I was thinking 'Wow, finally the two main characters hate each other. I think I'm in love.' It was so perfect because the relationship developed just right, the plot was solid, and Raffe liked to go around shirtless all the time. What? Admit it, you prefer your sexy beast men shirtless as well. Wade Poezyn for example:


Tell me you would prefer it if he had a shirt on. Go ahead, I'm waiting.(Not that he looks anything like Raffe, he doesn't)

Anyway, I did think Raffe was a bit of a...girlish? untoughish? name for a kick-ass angel, but going around saying Raphael all the time would've been worse. But his personality made up for any fault he might have. My all time favorite thing about Raffe was he just didn't care. He literally could not care less on who died, or how badly someone was hurt, or how awful and sadistic people might think he was, he flat out didn't care. He cared for two things. One: his wings. Two: I can't tell you cause it would be a spoiler

And Penryn, oh Penryn. Finally a heroine that can stand up for herself. Penryn has to be my all time favorite heroine, simply because she wasn't that helpless little girl who hid in the corner while there was a fight going on. No, she went and launched herself right into the middle because she knew her abilities and she knew how to win. Ee really did her research with fighting techniques.

The constant competition between Raffe and Penryn was hilarious and witty. They could go on forever just yellin back and forth at each other, but when it came time to fight they stood by each other. (Raffe and Penryn's relationship reminded me of the song: Better Than You by Conor Maynard and Rita Ora--just sayin)

Everything was so perfect about this book. And holy mother of plot twists that ENDING was so unexpected. I was reading it and this was my reaction at the end of the book:
I beg you, read this book. READ IT.

P.S. And the best part--The sequel's coming out this fall :D
xxAvalon

2 comments:

  1. Yes the twist was just wow. I was left with my mouth hanging open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending was.... no. I have no words to express what the ending was like. It was just...no.

    ReplyDelete