Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Most Highly Anticipated Books of 2014

For me, anyway. :D

1. The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
My NUMBER ONE favorite series. I absolutely LOVE these books, mostly because I admire Hodkin's ability to craft a book mixing such haunting and disturbing elements together, and still being able to make the story line crystal clear with little staccato bursts of hilarity.
2. The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa
I really like all of Julie Kagawa's books, including her other series, the Iron Fey. I like the originality of the series, and how she crafted two mythological things (faeries for the Iron Fey and vampires for the Immortal Rules) and she not only made them good, she made them badass.
3. The One by Kierra Cass
I'm not really sure why I like this series so much. It's just so...frustrating.
4. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
I generally don't like realistic fiction, but between John Green and Stephanie Perkins my love for the genre has increased dramatically.
5. The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
Before I begin here I just want to put something out there: I truly hate Rick Riordan.
This series has been beloved by my brother and me since we were little kids, and as soon as I heard there was going to be a spinoff, I was a little bit skeptical of how it was going to turn out. So, I borrowed the first book from the library...and then I bought every single Rick Riordan book there was. Which, by the way, cost me a TON of money. Anyway, time went on and my heart became crushed because of his characters and if you get one thing out of this, don't read a Riordan book unless you are prepared to get your heart ripped out of your chest.
6. Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bugardo
I really like the Russian feel of these books. I honestly think it may be the only worthwhile piece of Russian mythology-ish dystopian book out there. All of the characters are well-developed and interesting, even if they aren't likeable. Like the Mara Dyer series, it has a very haunting feel with little bits of humor that make it interesting.
7. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
I seriously considered not putting this book on the list because I am seriously NOT looking forward to the heart wrenching pain I know I am going to go through when I finish it. Seven character deaths. NOT FUNNY CASSIE
8. Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins
This series is seriously adorable and hot. I really like Kaidan, and while some of the writing makes it a bit obvious that Higgins is a new author, the idea for the series in itself had great potential, and she really worked with that potential well. I truly enjoy reading these books and they always make me smile.
9. Between the Spark and the Burn by April Genevieve Tucholke 
I liked Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea a lot, and while it was a little bit odd, I'd give the first book a four star review. The second book I hope is as good as the first, although I have my doubts about Neely :(
10. Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
(Is that what it's called???) Anyway, the final book in the Lux series. I love Daemon and Katy, and the pacing in these books was the most perfect thing ever. I like that Armentrout realizes that not all of the beginning stages of the plot has to happen in one book. It takes time for things to develop and escalate, and not all series have to be crammed into three books.

Anyway, this is my list of the books coming out this year that I will buy and read ASAP. Really, they're just continuations of series I've grown attached to over the last few years.


xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment