Monday, June 3, 2013

Fallen by Lauren Kate

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


The description is a lie.

Rating: 2 stars (only because I must congratulate it on the fact that I actually finished it without ripping it apart)

What a dreadful book. The characters were awful, the one I did like died, the plot was sketchy and stupid, and the entire book I was just thinking "What the heck's wrong with you? And you? And you? AND YOU WHAT THE????" and that pretty much sums up this book.

First off, I just need to say:

Dear Luce:
I hate you

I don't even care about spoilers in this review, because everything was so freaking predictable.

The book starts off with Luce Price, who is a girl who lacks character. She is transferred to a school for troubled teens when she accidentally sets her boyfriend on fire. Who turns out not to be her boyfriend...wut? I don't know, it was rather unclear on her feelings towards him. At first she felt awful, and then she was going 'Well, I didn't like him that much.' She was positively infuriating, and I have no idea what was so special about her.

Except maybe the fact that she had no wit or sense of humor. At all. In fact, when someone passed her a note saying (something along the lines of): Luce...Lucifer...coincidence? Most people would reply with an evil grin and: Maybe ;) But no, she writes out a freaking paragraph about the way her mother and father met, and how her name was superior to Molly's. WTF Luce?


And her obsession with Daniel was so annoying. This book had no insta-love. It was insta-obsession, later morphed into insta-lust (when Daniel starts liking her back), NOT insta-love. There were no deep emotions going on in this book, only shallow, selfish feelings centered around whether or not Luce got her way. She was like a 17 year old with manipulative, subtle, and tear filled temper tantrums, whose parents will eventually cave and go, okay, we think you're remarkable even though you've done NOTHING to prove that you are, and give you the jack-ass hot boy who flipped you off, called you a stalker, and proceeded to screw with your emotions until he eventually caved into his DESIRE(not insta-love) and made out with you on a bridge after another jackass boy tried to force himself on you. But at least he's REALLY hot.

 No. Just no. Daniel was a jack-ass, I hated him. Which is unusual for me, I usually love the jack-ass sorts, but Daniel crossed a couple thousand lines line and there is nothing he can do in future books to make up for it.

Cam was...bipolar. First he was all nice and sweet and protective, and then he went all picking fights. I could even look over this, except for the fact none of this seemed a little bit off to Luce. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at that point.

Penn was the one character in the book I liked, she was smart, supportive, didn't stab Luce in the back (She was like, the only one)...and she died. Of course she died, because this author has a knack for killing off everything funny and awesome in the YA genre doesn't she?

I didn't like any one of the characters, except Penn. They were all bipolar, not nearly as funny as they thought they were, and plain out jerks. (Strong words, I know)

If you dislike everything about me, my opinions, my blog, I don't care. Just don't burden yourself with the absolute patheticness in Luce's character, jack-assness in Daniel's, and just I am warning you, don't.

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment