Monday, June 3, 2013

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare



Orphan Tessa Gray, sixteen, crosses the ocean from New York to find her brother Nate in Victorian London, her only possession a clockwork angel necklace from her mother. She is ignorant of her power to transform; the Dark sisters are not. They kidnap her for the Magister, who wants to marry Tessa and claim her power.

Shadowhunters, warriors of angel blood, battle demons and keep the peace in the Downworld of vampires, warlocks and other supernaturals. Orphan teen Shadowhunters Jem, Will, and Jess rescue Tessa and agree to help save Nate. Vengeful vampire Lady Camille Belcourt and her current lover, warlock Magnus Bane provide entrée to the Magister's secret Pandemonium Club.



Rating: 4 stars

Way to go Cassandra Clare! 

One series of ripping everyone’s hearts out wasn’t enough for you, so you decided to make another one, with of course, the first one’s ancestors. (And I hear of a certain third series that will be coming out soon) As you can see in my other reviews, I have written up a few on a couple of the books from The Mortal Instruments, and I have loved them. Particularly Jace.

I don’t know if I can say the same about Will.  Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love all of the Herondale’s sass and sarcasm, and I love Will all the way up to end. This sudden change of opinion will be revealed at the end of the review, as it is, in fact, a spoiler and I shan’t want to ruin a perfectly good heartbreak for the rest of you.

I know, you’re totally grateful for that.

But if you read the Clockwork Angel and haven’t read the rest yet, you’d agree with me that Will’s little bit there while he’s talking to Tessa completely freaking ruins his character. Never mind, I’m ranting now, more on this subject later.

So at the beginning of this book we have Tessa, a girl who has been abducted by two women: Miss Dark and Miss Black—known as the Dark Sisters. They demand Tessa to hold objects of dead people and transform into them (the dead people, that is, not the objects) and tell them who they were, how they died, yada, yada, ya.  Eventually they decide that Tessa is ready to marry a dude called the Magister. Who, is remarkably less cool then the name would suggest. But he wants to marry her, and she is so not cool with this. So she starts working on busting herself out. To no avail.

But this all changes when Captain Sassypants—erm, Will, that is, bursts through the door and hauls butt to get her out of there. But not without a few smart remarks, of course, we are talking about Jace’s ancestor, here.

Tessa finds out that these people are called Shadowhunter’s, and she is most likely something called a warlock. As if this weren’t enough, the Magister has her brother captive, and he still wants to marry this chick. And Tessa and the Shadowhunter’s don’t know who, exactly, the Magister is. Which would probably put a damper on everything, except she, Will, and Jem got along swimmingly. (Not with ducks, of course) Well, she and Jem got along swimmingly. Will was kind of an overenthusiastic downer the entire story. But he did it with flare. Combine that with his charming good looks, and I was sold. I was also sold to Jem as well, because he was always so sweet and understanding and there for her when Will was being a sarcastic bastard.

Which brings me to my little SPOILER fest, in which I shall rant about Will being horrid and awful and so help me it better be okay in the next book I mean he did go to Magnus's and what was that all about but that's beside the point.

You see, Will was just becoming sweet and caring and trying to save her and being all cute and emotional and then BAM!!!!!!

Yes, as with most hot characters, they're either douchebags or dead, and guess who went down complete douchebag road. That's right, folks, William fucking Herondale went and smashed my emotions. He left me alone and crying and not sure whether to favor him or Jem and I love them both but he was so mean and uncaring and then--


He freaking asked her to be friends with benefits. As if she would say yes to that. What the heck was he trying to accomplish there? Push her away so he can play lonely and heartbroken lover, then blame it on her? Is that where this is going? Would Clare really stoop that low? I hope not.

Anyway, the point is this book was absolutely amazing as well as dreadful, as most of Cassandra Clare's books are. If you love sassiness and the Mortal Instruments, read this book. It's awful good for your well-being.

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment