Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Iron Fey Series by Julie Kagawa





Rating: 4.5 Stars


I loved this series, what a page turner. In reality, it took me a total of a week to read this entire collection. I didn't want to put it down!

Meghan was an amazing heroine. She had just enough ability to make her kick ass, but not too much, which would have made her unrealistic. Additionally, she was a really likeable character, and that made me sympathize with her. She was a quick learner, but she had a few bumps along the way which weren't necessarily her fault.

Onto Puck. Puck was an amazing guy, and I instantly fell in love with him, even though I was on Team Ash. He was the prankster, and yet always sweet and caring and going way out of his way for Meghan, which made me switch to Team Puck in the middle of the Iron Daughter, and then a bit indecisive in the Iron Knight. Puck had that fun personality that made the book light up, and (Spoiler Alert!!!) I was cracking up when he and Ash fought and he kept having all the copies of himself. He was such a sweet character that I always look for in books.

Ash, oh Ash. I don't think there could be an improvement made on him. He was the dark and mysterious love interest, and I, personally, love that kind.  He made me smile, cry, laugh, scream, all with just the simplest actions. He was just so perfect. Ash's faithfulness and unfailing loyalty made him so...desirable. What girl doesn't want an extremely sexy, loyal, loving and protective boyfriend? His character was beautifully sculpted and amazingly consistent, except in the last book, where I was a bit disappointed.

Now to my favorite character, Grimalkin. Grimalkin is my favorite cat of all time. His indifference and boldness made me smile every time. I don't think I ever expected this much sass coming from a cat, but Grimalkin just figured he'd put his two-cents in on everything, and then some. He was the only completely unchanging character, because he already knew everything. His comments and bland statements kept the book full of humor, and interesting, seeing as even his most bored statements could change the entire plot of the book.

I took off half a star off my personal rating, because of the fourth book. This paragraph will contain spoilers, so if you haven't read the last book, don't read this. The Iron Knight was about Ash's journey to get Meghan back, but it was mostly revolved around Ariella, which was a bit annoying, because most of the time he was thinking about her, instead of who he should've been thinking about. It was very frustrating, and it made it seem, the few times he was with Meghan, almost like he was cheating on Ariella. His indecision with Ariella and Meghan made me think about switching to Team Puck, but I stayed on Team Ash because he's just so perfect for her <3 . Female writers writing from a male's point of view and vice versa is very dangerous, especially with a changing character. Ash was going through some serious character changes and I just didn't feel she expressed his emotions and thoughts quite according to his character as shown in the previous books. Don't get me wrong, I still love Ash, I just didn't feel like he was quite...him in the last book. On top of that, he might not age?! Might is a very flexible word, I would much rather have heard he had just enough fey magic to not age at all, and then all my worries and concerns would be washed away.
I didn't want to take any more stars off because, despite my personal issues with Ash, it was amazingly written and I absolutely loved it.

This series is a definite must-read

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment