Wednesday, February 27, 2013

As I Wake by Elizabeth Scott

Ava wakes up in a house she doesn't know, into a life she doesn't recognize. Everyone is a stranger, and Ava can't shake the odd feeling that she's not who they say she is. Though she struggles to make out the memories that begin to resurface they're of a different life entirely--one filled with danger. Ava doesn't know what to make of these visions in which she and familiar-faced friends play very different, and very deadly, roles. But when Morgan appears--the one boy able to step from her memories into her reality--the high stakes and ultimate sacrifices of eternal love become the fiercest truth of all.


Rating: 2.5 stars at the most.

Loved the cover though :D

This review will have a few spoilers, but I can't do a review without them.

This book was an interesting one, and I, personally, hated it. The plot was incredibly original though, and I gave it an extra star for that. But the rest of the book was awful, the action was hard to follow, and it took me a long time to get interested.

I actually read this book twice, because the first time I had absolutely no clue what was happening, the plot was jumpy, and I mostly skimmed over it. When I forced myself to pay better attention, it made more sense, but I still found myself disappointed.

So you have Ava, who wakes up in a room, then wanders outside. For no reason other than she likes open doors better than closed ones. The she blacks out and wakes up again in a hospital with a hysterical woman screaming 'OhGod' over and over again. Apparently this woman, Jane, is her mother. She doesn't remember who she is, and she doesn't remember her mother, friends, crush, or anyone else.

Then she starts having strange dreams, where she stalks this number, 56-412, who is apparently a guy. His name is Morgan, but she doesn't call him that until about the second half of the book, although you know it's him. She can't see him while she's stalking him, only hear him.

After listening to him for a while, she meets him, and oh, the insta-love. Spoiler alert here, Morgan came to her attic place to through all her stuff outside and get her killed, but he doesn't because she said, and I quote, "Hello" to him. And he didn't think that would happen.

Ava's character annoyed me, she didn't care about anyone but herself. She would lie occasionally to please her mother, but the rest of the time she just went along and made no effort to appease with her friends.

Morgan was nice. I like Morgan, sure he was a bit creepy, but he went through great efforts to find Ava, who (Spoiler) ends up killing him.

I though Sophy, one of Ava's friends, would play a bigger part, mostly because of her venomous attitude toward Ava and the power-hungry personality she had, but she ended up being just a nasty girl. Olivia was a bit weird, but sweet. She had a crush on Greer, the other friend of Ava's, but Greer never noticed. I liked Greer, she stood up for Olivia when Sophy was being annoying and power hungry and I admire her for that, and she seemed to me like the leader Sophy wasn't.

Clementine was a stupid villain. She was just trying to protect Morgan, she wasn't trying to kill anyone or take over the world, she was just an overprotective (Spoiler) grandmother and I couldn't blame her. It hinted at her being a cruel woman before, but I had no evidence she had ever killed anyone. I found no reason to hate her, she was just trying to keep her grandson from running away with some low class girl who was going to get him killed.

The book was one you either loved or hated, and I hated it. I give it one star for the cover, and another for originality, but I hated the book. It was one of the worst I've ever read.

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment