Monday, May 27, 2013

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

Rating: 4 stars (5 stars on Goodreads, simply because it deserves more than 4, and I feel a bit bad on giving it that many...but I have my reasons)

Okay, if you've actually gotten this far in the Lux series, it either means you love it, or you hate it and are just reading it so you can give it crappy reviews. Which is pretty douchey, but that's a different discussion for a different place.

I'm one of the people who loved this book. I love Katy, I love Daemon, I love Dee, and I suspected that I would love Dawson, as he was first introduced as one heck of a plot twist at the end of Onyx. Which I did, although he didn't play as big of a role as I thought he would. I am, however, glad that he didn't screw with Katy and Daemon's relationship, because that would of sent me over the edge.

The book starts off where Katy and Daemon are now a couple (FINALLY) and they are trying to persuade Dawson to wait before he runs off to defeat Daedalus, who has Bethany, and gets himself killed. And Daemon got all protective and brotherly and my heart shattered into a million pieces because of all the feels that took over.

But as they discover more about Daedalus and more on trying to get Bethany back, Blake (that little son of a--) shows up again, begging for mercy. For the record, I hate Blake. Truly and with a passion. I understand why he as a character is necessary, but that doesn't make me hate him any less. He was the reason Katy lied to Daemon and got Adam killed in the first place, and now he comes back, asking for forgiveness and offering them help. Remember when he offered them help in Onyx? Yeah, that turned out fantastically, didn't it. And this is why I took off the one star, because despite knowing what he did, they completely disregarded the fact that Adam is DEAD because of him, Dee is shattered, and so, so much more, and just walked right back into his arms, taking the help he offered, very few to little questions asked.

(SPOILER) And when that little rat betrayed them at the end I get he's trying to save Chris and all but I am so ready to rip him apart GRRRR

Dawson was...messed up. Which was to be expected, seeing as he probably had been tortured while with Daedalus, and I predicted he was going to be quiet, with random bursts of violence when confronted with someone who was with Daedalus. I was right, which disappointed me some, because I hoping for so much more character from him. But, while quiet and a bit spazzy, he was incredibly sweet and determined to get his girlfriend back.

Katy's character has come a long ways, with little change. Yes, she is more willing to kill and slight changes in her moral standing have been apparent, but her personality is still the same, which is why I love her. She still makes time to do what she wants even with all this 'alien mojo' flying around. I gotta give her props for that, if nothing else (such as her ability to keep up in a sassy conversation with Daemon)

And Daemon...I love Daemon. He's such a smart ass all the time and I love him. I am a complete and utter fangirl when it comes to him, and the witty moments between Katy and him I was all like:
And it was true...

And their relationship I was literally fanning myself from the heat. WHERE did THAT come from? Like all this stored up passion exploded (twice hehe) in this book. :D (if you know what I mean...)

Anyway, the entire blind faith in Blake annoyed the bejeezus out of me, but other than that I still am completely and utterly in love with this series. But I can't talk about the end, because I will start screaming about what A FREAKING GODAWFUL CLIFFHANGER IT WAS!!!

Damn it Armentrout.

xxAvalon

No comments:

Post a Comment